Community post

Discussion

First IUI Coming Up - Terrified

Hello everyone!

Well....I've lingered on and off these forums for the last year or so......about me?

Me: 29
DH: Almost 29 (on the 29th!)
TTC: since our 3rd anniversary, August 2011

6 rounds of Clomid last year - all BFN

Have had every possible hormone/ body part checked - all good. Thyroid, prolactin, testosterone, progesterone, FSH, AMH. HSG scan in....September? came back fine. 2 SAs by DH are fine (on low side of "normal" counts, but still over 20million).

Absolutely no reason we haven't conceived yet; saw an RE in October and decided to take 2 months off from Clomid, and then start IUI in December. Well, the holidays rolled around, and then I work for a landscape/ snow company in Ohio, so the timing (and stress levels) just haven't been ideal. Decided last month to try one more time and to move forward if still negative. Well, stupid AF showed up Tuesday, talked to my RE yesterday, and we're moving forward.

I am exhausted. I'm sad, angry, pissed off, and just plain OVER this whole process. No one really knows what to say about it anymore (not that I expect them to), and it's something that we all know feels like a very personal mental & physical battle.

Anyway. So now the date is set for the ultrasound (4/1, April Fool's Day, hopefully that's not a bad omen!), and then tentatively set the IUI for 4/3.

I am terrified. I want this to just WORK. I mean....seems pretty foolproof to me, but obviously it doesn't always work.

So, I'm just trying to stay positive and upbeat and take care of myself (have lost 10% of my body weight since January - can only help! I'm not morbidly obese by any means, am wearing a 13/14 now, but still considered "overweight" by doc's standards).

Looking for any IUI experiences....especially the positive ones. Anything I should know or do beforehand?

Baby dust to all........!

User Image

8 Replies • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

Hello,
I've only just recently posted for the first time as well. I have had 9 I.U.I's but don't let that worry you! I have had multiple challenges discovered along the way and am in my first 2ww following the removal of a bunch of endometriosis scarring and polyps on my uterus....

Some I.U.I. tips....
- take an over the counter pain killer about an hour before your appt.
- if possible, go # 1&2 beforehand, gives you less to think about and in my experience, the "emptier" you are, the less pressure you will have during and after
- do whatever you do to relax during the procedure, pray, breathe deeply, meditate, whatever has a calming effect on you
- the procedure itself is cake...it's what we tend to do to ourselves with thoughts and "what if's" and worry based imagination that so often causes us to clench up and that does not serve us!
- finally, it is an odd sensation but not painful :-) the only time I have experience brief pain is when my cervix is curved bc of big fat follies ( a good thing!) this can cause a brief pinching pain as the doc tries to insert the very thin catheter...breathe through this and will every cell in your body to become soft & loose!

You will have an odd sensation of fullness afterward and possibly a bit of spotting from the catheter.

It is not a bad experience at all, a lot of women have success on #1 and most within 3 tries. You will do great and it is quite fun to see your follies developing at the ultrasound appointment!

Let us know how it goes!

11 years ago

All great tips....thank you!!! There will be a lot of prayers I am sue...thank you for the encouragement!! :) Doc is doing Clomid+ultrasound+hcg shot for 3 rounds of iui before doing the laparoscopic (spelling?) surgery....hoping we don't have to get that far!

User Image

11 years ago • Post starter

Sounds like a good plan, very similar to mine except I am using Letrozole instead of clomid...also, I refer to the hcg shots as psychological warfare bc it causes the exact same symptoms as pregnancy! Ugh, but securing the O is worth it!

11 years ago

IUI didn't work for me. But there was a reason. We did three cycles and my regular doctor was stumped. It turns out I have endometriosis. There was no way my body was healthy enough to conceive and carry a pregnancy. I pray that IUI works for you, but if it doesn't, don't get discouraged. There might just be a reason, don't stop till you find it. My prayers are with you!
Love,
Catherine
babystepsandtears.com

Baby dust to all of you ladies! www.babystepsandtears.com

11 years ago

Thanks for the prayers....appreciated! Hopefully works within 3 cycles but doing that surgery if none of the 3 take. I am not sure that I have endometriosis...I've never had super painful periods or anything, but I guess you never know!

User Image

I am in the 2ww of my third IUI. It is not a bad experience just a little pinching. The first advice or taking a little pain pill may help. I always forgot. The best thing about the U/S's is that when things come up they can get to it. I am praying non stop that this one will be the one that works. It took a while to get to this third round simply because they discovered several cysts and then a couple of polyps that they had to remove. It is a challenge but God willing for all of us we will be blessed with a little one. Praying all goes well for you. :)

11 years ago

I have to ask, those of you who've been through the IUI, have you also have the HSG scan (to check your tubes?) I found that experience extremely painful from the tube being pushed through my cervix (OUCH), is it like that? :(

User Image

Hi!

I just found this thread and am about to meet with my doctor regarding IUI and appreciate all the input here.

nsking83 how did it go? I'm curious to hear about your experience and I'd love to keep in touch and see how this goes for you. I find it so much easier to have "friends" who understand what you're going through!

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo